Sylvan’s Jewelers was established in 1897, by Gustaf (a watchmaker) and Johannes (a jeweler) Sylvan. An article published in The State on September 23, 1897, extolled the elegance of the new jewelry store and the quality of the merchandise. In 1905, Sylvan’s moved to the Second Empire-style building on the corner of Main and Hampton streets where Sylvan’s is located to this day. One of the brothers’ earliest commissions was to design the official ring for the University of South Carolina. Sylvan’s is owned and operated by the fourth generation of the Schiffman family of jewelers.