Most men will invest time in research before going out to begin the engagement ring buying process. But, no matter how prepared you think you are, you may still wish you had more information, or knew the “right” questions to ask.
Fear no more – if you are going engagement ring shopping soon, here is a cheat sheet of questions to ask yourself, and then even take along with you:
Before you go shopping:
- Do you know what style she wants? This includes diamond cut, setting style, etc.
- If not, do you feel comfortable asking her sister, mother or best friend?
- Do you know what size she wears? If not, read our tips on finding out her size.
- Does she have a preference in metal type? Read more about platinum versus gold.
- Do you know what your budget is?
- Do you have a jewelry retailer you are comfortable purchasing from?
- How long do you have until you want to propose? Keep in mind, many rings take a few weeks to make.
- How are the engagement rings sold – complete or custom built?
- How long will it take to get your ring once purchased?
- How does sizing work?
- Do they engrave? (if this is something that you want)
- What is the return/exchange policy?
- Will they provide an appraisal for insurance?
- How do you insure the ring?
- Does the ring come certified with official documentation?
- What advice for cleaning and taking care of the ring can they provide?
Depending on your experience, knowledge level and timeline for shopping, there may be more that you are interested in asking, as well as other questions that might come up during process. However, these questions are a great start to making sure you cover all of your bases and get the engagement ring of your dreams.